The Western Colorado Center for the Arts in Grand Junction, Colorado is accepting qualified candidates for the position of Exhibition Curator and Educational Programmer.
Full-time, hourly position (minimum of 40 hours per week) reporting to the Executive Director, some weekends and evenings required.
Position responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Curator of Exhibitions
- Builds exhibition calendar. Related tasks include, but are not limited to: working with The Art Center’s Exhibitions Committee to review submission, curating at least three exhibition proposals annually.
- Required to maintain contracts and communication with exhibiting artists throughout the entire process leading up to exhibitions. This position installs exhibitions, works with front desk to organize volunteers, and directs artwork drop-off and pick-up.
- Assures exhibition space is well-prepared for each exhibition and coordinates logistics for artists and The Art Center.
Educational Programs Coordinator
- Reviews and hires all 2D adult program instructors. Position will prepare educational programming contracts between the Art Center and instructors and lectures. Responsible for adult class set-ups, material lists, write-ups, and course evaluations.
- Supplies Design and Communications Manager with descriptions, dates, fees and images for website, magazine, postcard and all media outlets. Designs a cohesive and defined program to support The Art Center’s mission and vision.
- Assist Youth and Special Needs Education Coordinator in organizing programs.
- Organizes educational events such as Demo Night, Critique Night, and the Visiting Artist Lecture Series.
- High degree of people and organizational skills required.
- Ability to multi-task and accept constructive feedback from supervisor, staff and public.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills.
- Computer literate, especially with Adobe suite of programs and Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree in art history, studio art, art education, arts administration, and/or curatorial and educational background required. Museum and/or gallery experience preferred.
- Candidates must be able lift up to 50 lbs and be comfortable on ladders, as she/he will be installing a large variety of art works including painting, sculpture, video and installation art.
- Must be innovative and community-minded.